Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Craft #16-Day 16-Meringue Mice

Crafting in the kitchen! Today's project included using the stove and the oven to create the meringue mice. I gathered all of the ingredients and kitchen supplies needed.

I started to make the meringue by adding the egg whites, sugar, and cream of tarter to a stainless steel bowl and placing it over a pan of simmering water. I continued whisking for a couple of minutes until the sugar was dissolved. I removed the bowl from the heat and as soon as it cooled down, Carter was also able to help whisk. We whisked the mixture until glossy peaks began to form.

I didn't have a pastry bag to use, so I used a ziploc bag instead to scoop the meringue into. I cut the bottom corner and let Carter squeeze the meringue out onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. We made little blobs, not quite the tear drop shapes as suggested in the book. I made a little mouse with a licorice tail, sprinkle eyes and almond slices for ears. Carter had his own vision and made these great dinosaur, porcupine and sea creatures!

Carter very much enjoyed adding the decorations and didn't want to stop. So we added one last finishing touch, red sprinkles. We were ready to pop them in the oven for an hour and a half.

Once the meringue creatures were done baking, I set them on the wire rack to let cool. Carter was super excited to taste test these little treats. Mmmm!













No comments:

Post a Comment