Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Craft #98-Day 107-Cross-Stitch Family Portraits

New Chapter-Chapter 7-Give Something Handmade-"Whether it's a personalized bag, a box of fudge, or a cross-stitched family portrait, the best gifts are always the ones you make yourself." -Martha Stewart's editors.

Okay, so when it says, "projects for kids of all ages to create, build design, explore, and share".... I don't think it means every project is meant for kids of all ages?? More like there is a project for every age? Which I have noticed before now...however part of the fun has been improvising and adapting the project for my toddler. Which is what this adventure has turned into. This happens to be the case with this project as well, just a little more so. I started researching and found a great idea to tailor this to an almost three year old. I don't know about you, but my kid is not ready to full-on detail cross-stitch. So here is the version of this marvelous idea instead.....

I had Carter pick out a picture he would like to use from his coloring book to create our very own DIY Lacing Board. He picked a picture of a " minion" and we both started coloring with markers and crayons. Once Carter declared that we were finished, he helped glue the picture onto a piece of cardboard from a cracker box. Yes, I love to reduce, reuse, recycle! For the benefit of the earth and my pocketbook.

Carter helped to punch holes into our board and we were ready to start lacing. We had a pretty orange piece of ribbon to use and I taped one side so it could easily be thread through. Lacing is a great and fun activity for developing fine motor skills, improving eye-hand coordination and concentration! Then Carter turned it into a mask; an endless amount of imagination.









No comments:

Post a Comment